Re: Include Referer-HTTP-header in requests from XMLHttpRequests

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Mark Baker wrote:

> > I would be very much against that. Referer is very useful to Web sites
> > that want to restrict casual linking into images and other resources.
> > if XHR is able to change referers, and also eventually enables
> > cross-site, it will become trivial circumvent this sort of protection
> > (which, yes, isn't perfect, but is often good enough).
>
> I agree, but that's for cross-domain, which is a very different problem.
> I agree that Referer is of higher value in cross-domain scenarios.

It's not that different; once you have XXX (CROSS-site eXtensions to
Xmlhttprequest), a simple one-domain XMLHttpRequest call can trivially
turn into a cross-domain call simply by hitting a redirect. IMHO the
restrictions for XXX should be the same as for normal XMLHttpRequest,
otherwise we're just asking for obscure security bugs.