Re: Multi-touch pointer events

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Dave Raggett wrote:

> What would it take for the DOM Mouse events to support multi-touch?
>
> Currently, MouseEvent specifies {clientX, ClientY} and {screenX,
> screenY}. This would need to be generalized to an array of such
> locations, but in such as way as to provide backwards compatibility for
> existing scripts when only a single pointer location is involved.

As a possible consideration: as far as I can tell, multitouch devices come
in two forms; those with explicit coordinate spaces that match the screen
(touch screen overlays, e.g.) and those that are just track pads that
don't have any explicit relationship to the screen (e.g. Powerbook track
pads).

I agree it would be cool for DOM applications to have access to this data.
What we need is a concrete proposal. I imagine this would originally be
its own specification, since I presume we don't want to add this to DOM3
Events (thus avoiding feature creep).