Re: Extension HTTP methods

* Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> I don't understand this statement, because I'm not sure why XHR would
>>> care at all what the verb is. HTTP fully defines how message
>>> transmission works independently of the verb (with the single notable
>>> exception being the responses to HEAD).
>>
>> That depends on how much magic you add, like automatically following
>> redirects or automatically responding to authentication challenges.

>I'm not sure about authentication challenges? Where's the dependency on
>the actual method?

The point is just that XHR does more than message transmission, so even
if message transmission does not depend on the verb, certain features of
XHR might. But since you ask, it might well be that a user agent vendor
decides that users must confirm passing authentication information for
unsafe requests, but pass the information automatically for safe ones.
Currently implementations disagree whether and when confirmation is re-
quired. But that's for a different thread really.