Re: Linking to part of a resource

Hi Sylvain,

On Jan 03, 2006, at 12:21, Sylvain Hellegouarch wrote:
> I hope you all had a very nice holiday break (assuming you had
> one ;)).

Thanks, you too.

> It might be offtopic but do you feel this [1] is something the WEB-
> API group  could (should) address?
> [1]http://channelxml.com/community/blogs/sylvain/archive/
> 2006/01/03/11.aspx

I think this is well outside the scope of the Web APIs WG.
Programmatically, what you describe can be done using DOM Ranges, but
I'm not sure that would help in the linking case since it is largely
declarative. The framework with which to implement such functionality
is XPointer. I seem to recall Mozilla actually supporting something
like this at some point by precise memory evades me. One problem with
such links is that even if you try to make them more robust (e.g. by
using XPath and regexen instead of just character offsets) they're
still quite brittle since a very simple change to the target page
could completely throw off your link.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist