Re: XMLHttpRequest.getResponseHeader and missing headers

Since calling getResponseHeader/getAllResponseHeaders does not make sense
before readyState is 3 or 4, raising a DOMException INVALID_STATE_ERR makes
more sense. That way, these two methods would be aligned with status and
statusText attributes.

There is a related inconsistency with respect to the behavior of responseXML
and responseText before readyState is 3 or 4. Currently responseText is
required to be an empty string, but again, an INVALID_STATE_ERR makes more
sense. I would argue for the same behavior for accessing responseXML before
readyState is 4. IE 6 behaves in this manner throwing an exception with
message "The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet
available."

Subbu

--
http://www.subbu.org