Re: Removing trolls and off-topic conversation from Web Security IG? [was Re: A Somewhat Critical View of SOP (Same Origin Policy)]

On 9/23/15, 11:08 AM, "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

>On 09/23/2015 01:36 PM, Hadi Nahari wrote:

>>> I am bringing up the point that the Web Security Interest Group is
>>>based
>>> on the "Web", whose only meaningful security boundary is the Same
>>>Origin
>>> Policy.
>>>
>>> It would of course be within scope on how to tie existing, non-Web
>>> security models to the Web Security Model and to respect the same
>>>origin
>>> policy. I suggested for example, per-origin based key derivation. There
>>> are many other possible routes.
>>>
>>> However, throwing Same Origin Policy out would be out of scope and is a
>>> non-starter likely for anything that be implemented. If there are basic
>>> problems understanding the Same Origin Policy, I believe this should be
>>> addressed off-list. For non-Web security standards, there are many
>>>other
>>> forums to chose from.
>>>
>>>   cheers,
>>>       harry

>> Harry;
>>
>> I have been following this specific thread with a great deal of interest
>> and haven¹t felt spammed. I think your attempt to shut this down is out
>>of
>> line, though I agree that a bit of civility could help. The [non-]
>> argument of ³you don¹t know how [X] works² is not logical reasoning, and
>> does not replace it.
>
>I believe it should be expected that in addition to civility, folks on
>this list need to have a basic understanding of the Web and security.

Agreed. However, what are the criteria to assess the “basic
understanding”? Certification (which ones, why?)? Experience (eliminates
bright, but new participants)? Board members/you (humans can become
biased)? See where I’m going?

>Thus, a move to an Invited Expert/Member model may be appropriate to the
>IG.

I’m not getting the “thus” part: how did the former statement logically
lead to the latter? If there’s a bylaw that I’m not aware of, please
provide ref.

>> I disagree. This is the whole reason that having conversations like this
>> is useful so that we ³evaluate² whether this is true, rather than
>>³assert²
>> it.
>>
>> Let¹s, instead, follow and apply rules of civilized argumentation,
>>rather
>> than just shut things down. Not cool.
>If you have a different security and privacy boundary than SOP, you
>should articulate it.

The point I raised was intended to focus on "the process of dealing with
the issue at hand” rather than “the issue at hand.” I will, of course,
speak up when I think I have something meaningful to contribute to the
issue.

>However, Anders and others seem to be insinuating there is a conspiracy
>against them rather than clearly articulating their desired
>security/privacy boundary, when the problem may instead be, as I pointed
>out, the fact that proposals to break SOP have security/privacy problems
>and these should be addressed by adapting these proposals to SOP.
>Greater permissions, access to hardware tokens, user control over
>Javascript, and other useful security/privacy could be accomplished
>without breaking SOP. When arguing to replace SOP, you should first
>prove what you want can't be done within SOP and why.
>
>Simply throwing out security/privacy boundaries on the Web would make
>things *much* worse for end-users, enable easier-tracking, and open
>whole new attack surfaces. For an example of how 'extension' models that
>don't respect SOP go wrong, browser extensions are a useful example:
>http://www.howtogeek.com/188346/why-browser-extensions-can-be-dangerous-an

>d-how-to-protect-yourself/
>
>Thus, causing changes in browsers like Mozilla:
>http://www.scmagazineuk.com/mozilla-changes-security-model-to-bolster-exte

>nsion-protection/article/434599/
>
>Due to these kinds of attacks, I expect browser extensions to be slowly
>phased out precisely due to their lack of a meaningful security/privacy
>boundary. If one wants to replace or violate SOP, one should be aware of
>how it could be abused.
>
>             cheers,
>                     harry
>

>> Regards,
>> -Hadi
>> P.S. Though I don¹t agree with all Mr. Rundgren¹s assertions, but have
>> also seen some vile attacks/responses against him, which I think are
>> unwarranted. D.S.
>>
>> \-------------------------------------
>> Hadi Nahari, Chief Security Architect
>> NVIDIA, +1.408.562.7916
>> --------------------------------------\
>> Dubito ergo mihi licet esse

>>----------
>> This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
>>may contain
>> confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>>distribution
>> is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
>>the sender by
>> reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Regards,
-Hadi