Card Payments on the Web. was: State of the WebCrypto API

On 2015-10-12 21:42, ANDREAE Philip wrote:
> Using 3D-Secure as a application mechanism allowing the Merchant and
 > Issuer to communicate and subsequently establish a link between the
 > Cardholder and the Issuer.

That's indeed a possibility.

> Allow the Issuer to discover if a Smart Card reader is present.

Now it became a bit more difficult but still within reach.

> Ultimately allow the Issuer to communicate through the 3D-Secure redirect
 > with the smart card reader thought a tunnel allowing them to issue APDUs to the card.

This is where the real pain is.

Since I have described (any number of times...) what I consider the "right" approach,
it would be more interesting hearing other folks opinion on this concept.

Shoot!

 > The smart card reader could in theory also be an NFC interface.
>
> I am not a technical guy.  All I want to suggest is we need to enable the Financial Institution
 > "The Issuer", who ultimately guarantees the payment transaction,

As a rather technical guy I agree :-)

> to be able to use existing
 > payment credentials and associated tools, to assure themselves that a genuine set of payment
 > credentials is present.

If existing credentials will be usable remains an issue, particularly the card-reader
represent a hurdle.

> Of course there are other techniques such as Amazon One Click and "Card on File"
 > solutions, where a customer has some loyalty to the merchant or recurring activity
 > or payments happen.  In these cases the merchant e.g. AT&T, Georgia Power, Amazon,
 > Uber or Delta can take responsibility for maintaining, on the customers behalf,
 > payment credentials.  In these cases FIDO becomes an effective way to provide a
 > secure multi-factor log-in experience.

Absolutely.

> The key use case that must be addressed is where an anonymous Buyer
 > visits a Seller's website and wishes to shop and pay with payment credentials
 > they frequently use e.g. a credit or debit card.

Indeed.