Re: WebCrypto - "A Solution Looking for a Problem"

On 01/22/2015 05:42 PM, Colin Gallagher wrote:
> Anders, I think the features you discuss are or were taken up by Web
> Payments at
> http://www.w3.org/community/webpayments/
>
> However, some important factors which have doomed any
> 1. Useful, and
> 2. Safe
> web wallet development,
>
> Are the following:
>
> A. Innovation killers within web payments group itself that discouraged or
> just plain destroyed possibilities of permissionless, free and open
> collaboration without conditions imposed... by this I am referring to the
> horrifying CLA for the Web Payments group that they required you agree to
> even to jump onto a conference call or mailing list (you have to have
> agreed to license your Essential Claims against a gigantic, innovation
> killing CLA that I and others in the bitcoin community refused to agree to
> in Feb 2014 thus ending the possibility (from my perspective) of a
> collaboration with Payswarm / W3C Web Payments)

Note I do not consider patent commits to royalty free standards
"innovation killers". In fact, in general patents are innovation killers.

If you want to say "I have patents and want to keep them, and put them
in an open standard and then charge licensing fees when people use the
open standard", just say that. But don't call that "innovation-killing."

I agree there are legal issues with govt. seizure of customer data, but
that's beyond a standards body to fix.

Re WebvCrypto, Anders, as usual, is incorrect. WebCrypto is aimed at
general-use crypto primitives within the browser environment that
already exists. No more, no less. Lots of people have already found that
useful. Please see charter. We could and hopefully will recharter new
work but we'd like to finish the existing API as it is without
shoe-horning into other use-cases that the WG did not accept.

   cheers,
      harry