Re: Native Messaging is now a part of Web Payment WG

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:47 AM, Anders Rundgren <
anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/w3c/webpayments/issues/42#issuecomment-166705416

Yet another in a series of misleading thread titles by Anders. Anders, can
you even explain how the comment you linked has anything to with the thread
title you used?

As far as I've seen, you've found a use case for native messaging, for
which platform-native JS APIs and vendor-provided Apps would work just as
well as discussed in that thread, but how exactly are you making the leap
to "Native Messaging is now a part of Web Payment WG". This seems to be a
discussion of exact opposite of what you're proposing: exposing
platform-native features with vendor-specific APIs, then leveraging those,
as opposed to the one magical standard that unites all interactions between
browsers and native platforms.

If I didn't know better, I'd assume you had mistakenly linked the wrong
thread.

It was always a good idea.  With Google behind, it will become de-facto
> standard.

Google's involvement as the principal party behind a proposed standard has
little to do with whether it actually succeeds. You like disparaging
WebCrypto... well, it seems to be in exactly that boat. WebCrypto may be
the de-facto standard for cryptography in browsers, but that doesn't mean
it will be successful or popular, or that other browser vendors are even
interested in implementing it or maintaining existing implementations.

> The only snag is the lack of a real standard.

That would be a real snag, wouldn't it?

--
Tony Arcieri