Re: [W3C Web Security IG] moving the web to HTTPS is currenlty discussd in TAG

It is a good idea to build on the earlier IAB announcement with regard
to security of the Web.

I read through the document and I like it.

Only three comments/questions:

1) I was hoping to read that a strong incentive for using HTTPS is to
secure the distribution of code, which is uses more an more. (Code =
JavaScript).

2) You write:

"
Likewise, we realize that transitioning to HTTPS may not be easy for all
sites. While the CPU overhead of TLS has been largely overcome by
advances in processor technology, the Web platform itself makes changing
schemes difficult, both because URLs themselves need to change, and
because the URL scheme is also used to trigger different behavior in
many platform features. These problems ought to be viewed as
opportunities for improvement in the platform, rather than reasons to
stop adoption of encryption.

TLS has been optimized quite a bit to deal with the performance impact.
Here is a relevant link:
https://www.imperialviolet.org/2010/06/25/overclocking-ssl.html

Also, you don't have to change the URLs to enable HTTPS.

3) You write: "Another source of friction is deploying HTTPS in some
networks; for example, in private network address ranges [RFC1918]."

Maybe you can expand a bit on the problems you see there.

Ciao
Hannes