Re: Publishing From-Origin Proposal as FPWD

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:30:26 +0200, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
> Anne - please add some text re the consensus of the contents point and
> then I'll start the CfC.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/from-origin/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

Now has "The contents of this document do not necessarily reflect the
consensus of the Working Group." which I think is redundant with
"Publication as a Working Draft does not imply endorsement by the W3C
Membership." but moving on is more interesting.

> On 7/1/11 1:52 PM, ext Hill, Brad wrote:
>> The new WebAppSec WG charter draft does include a deliverable for
>> secure mashups built with cross-domain framing, with the specific
>> intent to put forward a proposal for anti-clickjacking in this space.
>>
>> However, I have concerns with nearly every aspect of this draft.
>>
>> First, I am concerned about mixed goals in the problem statement.  It's
>> definitely not in the proposed charter scope for the WebAppSec WG to
>> address issues like bandwidth "theft" and license enforcement.   Even
>> for the WebApps WG, it is arguable that some of these goals go against
>> core Web Architecture principles. (http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/)
>>
>> Secondly, several of the goals, even if couched in terms of security,
>> aren't in the interest of the user.  If I go to a page, I want to see
>> images, fonts and videos on it.  Policies that prevent that from
>> working are actually adversarial to the user.    From a basic security
>> principles perspective, the client-side UA is not the place for such
>> restrictions to be enforced, as they can be easily disabled.
>> Further, conflating mechanisms to protect the user (anti-clickjacking)
>> with mechanisms adversarial to the user (font licensing) encourages the
>> user to disable even the protections that they should want.
>>
>> Finally, don't think the proposed mechanism here for user-protection is
>> adequate for many/most use cases at risk of clickjacking that web
>> application owners would like to deploy.  A binary frame/no-frame
>> policy based on a whitelist of origins is both very limiting and not
>> terribly secure.   Consider a "like", "+1" or "pay" button.  These may
>> be framed on tens of thousands of origins, making a whitelist
>> unmanageable.  Or they may be framed-by-permission on an origin with
>> tens of thousands of resources/pages/applications (forum, auction site,
>> etc.)  where an XSS or similar in any one of which would expose the
>> framed content to clickjacking again.
>>
>> I think it's preferable to work towards a mechanism where resources can
>> declare they can be framed, but only subject to some policy or set of
>> capabilities which guarantee clickjacking protection, visibility, etc.

I agree we should look at this more, but I think having a published draft
helps. The background of this work is actually not clickjacking, but
specifically @font-face (web font embedding mechanism) where a default
same-origin restriction is considered. This was drafted as an alternative,
opt-out mechanism, though can potentially be used for a number of other
things as well.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/