Re: Scope and complexity (was Re: More on XSS mitigation)

On 24/01/11 23:50, Adam Barth wrote:
> To pick on one example, adding "inline" as script-src is disaster
> for security, yet its temping enough that a number of folks who've
> I've seen try to use CSP decide to add it.  IMHO, CSP would be better
> at mitigating XSS without the "inline" option for "script-src".

Well, if you don't use the 'inline' option, of course CSP is better at
mitigating XSS ;-)

I think you mean: "CSP would mitigate more XSS attacks if the 'inline'
option for 'script-src' were not a part of the spec and not implemented."

However, that's definitely a debateable point. If you make CSP to hard
to adopt, fewer people will use it full stop - and so not get XSS
protection, or any other protections. Allowing 'inline-src' makes the
adoption curve for CSP less steep. Yes, some people will stop half way
up the curve; but I would suggest that a less steep curve means that
more people will persevere to the top.

Gerv