Re: Sandboxed iframes (was Re: Seamless iframes + CSS3 selectors = bad idea)

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Adam Barth wrote:
>> In some sense, a site needs to vet all URLs for javascript URLs, but
>> this behavior means that every time you see "javascript:" in an XSS
>> filter, they're probably insecure unless you also see "data:" right next
>> door.
>
> Any system relying on blacklisting URLs or schemes is just asking for
> trouble. You simply cannot do a truly secure filtering mechanism with
> anything but a pure whitelisting mechanism, where _everything_ is
> whitelisted, including URL schemes.

We've had this argument a couple of times.  I worry that we're relying
too much on authors using strong XSS filters.  I don't have any solid
data about how often folks use blacklist-based XSS filters.
Anecdotally, I've certainly seen them in the wild.

Adam