Re: WebPerfWG call - September 30th 2021 @ 10am PST

Minutes
<https://docs.google.com/document/u/1/d/e/2PACX-1vQxAmRwVr1s0rEOJPrmAktgudhbDcm1BgKOtBLVUmCOPWkfy2AU6Eb_wsO5R3i_kREVOCFAfL2n4wmq/pub>
and recordings are now available, and published to Github
<https://github.com/w3c/web-performance/tree/gh-pages/meetings>:

   - Extending JS profiling <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h92c7HtVSV0>
    video
   - Landing navigations <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KB5nOF3Gs> video

---
Participants

Corentin Peschliche, Cliff Crocker, Andrew Comminos, Steven Bougon, Scott
Gifford, Alex christensen, Ian Clelland, Yoav Weiss, Nic Jansma, Benjamin
de Kosnik, Pat MEenan, Noam Helfman, Giacomo Zecchini, Michal Mocny,
Carine, Time Tijhof, Nicolas Pena Moreno
Admin

   - Next meeting on October 14th
   - Last meeting before TPAC - OCT 25-29th, still room for ideas and topics
   - Trying to figure out best time slots, but there’s still room for more
   topics.
   - Free registration link: https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/Overview.html
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.w3.org/2021/10/TPAC/Overview.html&sa=D&source=editors&ust=1634098481321000&usg=AOvVaw0IZJie4OtTdgFSJp9PEFdP>

Exposing VM state for JS Self-Profiling
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/WICG/js-self-profiling/blob/main/doc/state-extensions-slides.pdf&sa=D&source=editors&ust=1634098481321000&usg=AOvVaw015qYeJsJY-8jKt17kR5on>

   - Andrew: Working on JS profiling, chatting on updates and ideas on
   extending it
   - … Web exposed sampling JS profiler accessible by script. Sites can
   inspect JS execution locally or on the server.
   - … See real RUM metrics
   - … Unbiasing from high-end machine and seeing weird configurations in
   the field
   - … Shipped on Chrome 94
   - … Simple to use API - sync constructor. A lot of the logic you want to
   profile can’t wait for asynchronous, and the API didn’t require it
   - … 2 parameters, sampleInternal and maxBufferSize to ensure the
   developer can’t go overboard and collect more samples than they can process
   - … Example
   - ... Particularly useful to debug input latency in combination with
   Event Timing
   - … One addition, using DocumentPolicy in order to avoid incurring the
   hit of getting the initial metadata, ensuring the document can start
   profiling really quickly
   - … Example for tracing format
   -
   -
   -
   - … Trie representation
   - … Initial data is better than anticipated - Enabling the profiler
   slowed load time by less than 1%, so overhead is minimal.
   - … Provides a drop in solution for perf analysis
   - … Seeing strong adoption from industry (e.g. Microsoft)
   - … What could be better?
   - … Non-JS execution is hard to identify. UA work (paints, layouts,
   garbage collection) is hard to tell from idle time
   - … Some tasks are longer than they should be if they trigger GC
   - … Corentin is working on extending the profiler
   - Corentin: Want to update the spec
   - ... Wants to highlight work performed by the UA
   - ... Use information from traces available already on DevTools
   - ... Want a marker to trigger profiling
   -
   - … GC, parsing (HTML/JS?)
   - … Proposed modification
   -
   - … We’d have longer traces that include more details (e.g. marking
   samples as impacted by GC)
   - … There are security and privacy concerns. We should not expose work
   done on a cross-origin document
   - … Need to be careful not to include information from other origins,
   may require cross-origin isolation
   - … Want to know if there’s interest in breaking down the paint marker
   into style, layout and paint
   - … Should we require COI?
   - … Finally, is this the right place to expose this information? Or
   should it be exposed as part of the performance timeline?
   - ... PR https://github.com/WICG/js-self-profiling/pull/55
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/WICG/js-self-profiling/pull/55&sa=D&source=editors&ust=1634098481325000&usg=AOvVaw0h0Z9Mffp4HT0oRRqCcRTK>
   - --- discussion ---
   - Yoav: You mentioned COI. Did you do analysis on the different markers
   and how each would be impacted by the inclusion or not of non-isolated
   cross-origin resources?
   - Andrew: Main concern is GC. It could be challenging to perform
   attribution in this case, so COI makes sense for exposing this kind of
   marker. In other cases, it’s easier to attribute. GC is hard because of
   opaque scripts. It seems most markers will require origin attribution.
   We’ve also looped in some security folks so we will have another update at
   TPAC.
   - Alex: You mentioned that enabling the API makes it less than 1% slower
   load. But have you measured battery life or CPU usage, FPS, etc?
   - Andrew: Hard to measure those, we hope to use smoothness API later on.
   But on local measurements we have not seen regressions on those metrics.
   Raw cycles seem to be an extra 1-3%. Perhaps you can assume that is a
   reasonable bound for the impact.
   - Alex: Assume this is for facebook.com.
   - Andrew: Yes
   - Alex: Curious if anyone has data on JS heavy canvas drawing game.
   - Timo: Exposing GC - it’s already exposed because you’re not receiving
   samples
   - Andrew: Spec defines stack unwinding, so that you’d see nothing during
   GC - you’d get an empty GC
   - Timo: I don’t think we can mask that it actually happened, unless we
   make up fake frames. So it would be trivial to deduce that this is what
   occurred during that time.
   - Andrew: Yea, true.
   - Michal: Followup to Alex. 1-3% is not quite clear, but I wonder about
   the flip side of that. At some point you catch a bug that pays for that
   permanently.
   - Andrew: In the OT we shaved a bunch of random issues on the site. e.g.
   Observing a script that we didn’t know was running, which gave us 4-5% win.
   - Michal: You sample the clients as well?
   - Andrew: Yea
   - Michal: At some point you may taper off, so is it worthwhile to reduce
   the number of samples at some point?
   - Andrew: Potentially. Also, code coverage and perf are different use
   cases and may require different sampling sizes
   - Michal: Do you feel you need as much level of detail from field data?
   Or would it be sufficient to know that layout has been exceeding a certain
   amount?
   - Andrew: 2 main use cases. 1) how much layout is taking 2) when is JS
   actually running. E.g. when is GC interrupting JS execution. If we have
   another API that provides aggregate metrics, that could also cover that use
   case
   - Michal: Yea. Layout is tricky as it could have an impact on stack
   samples. I guess others could have an impact as well.
   - Noam: followup on Alex’s question. We use the profiler on Excel
   Online. A lot of heavy JS is running. We have not
   observed substantial regressions in our measurements of long JS and long
   frames, but we are still evaluating and analyzing the data. It feels
   relatively performant. We use it on a sampling basis, i.e. periodically on
   some clients. The API has helped analyzing bottlenecks and it has helped
   us enhance our responsiveness. We found some issues that we would not be
   able to find in test environments. Still find cases with stack traces where
   we don’t understand what’s going on. So I think it’s very important to
   improve.
   - If this comes at the cost of COI, I think it may be problematic for us
   to implement. We couldn’t implement it before. That would mean that we
   won’t be able to leverage the capability.
   - Andrew: COI is a last resort measure.
   - Noam: Would be good to do a security analysis for it, and only enforce
   it when required.
   - Andrew: We are trying to start security conversations as soon as
   possible
   - Yoav: Yhere was recently a credential-less extension which allows you
   to incorporate third parties but send the requests without credentials.
   Does that help? Or what are the adoption hurdles?
   - Noam: Our limitation for implementation of COI is that once a resource
   has it, everything has to be restricted. For COOP especially, or one of
   them, it propagates. And we have a lot of scripts and resources, some are
   third party and we don’t have full control over them.
   - Yoav: I think it might be interesting for y’all to look at
   credentialless.
   - Noam: I think it is currently in Origin Trial, so we’d have to look
   into it. I don’t know if it supports credentialless?
   - Andrew: Well, it does not require COI.
   - Benjamin: Want to go back to this, to using this to find regressions.
   Examples ways where you were able to isolate specific hardware using this?
   - Andrew: In many cases, if we’re running an experiment on a feature, we
   want to dive into how something regressed. And it’s very hard to figure out
   what part of the code was responsible for a regression. So with this API we
   can know which stacks were most prominent. Profiler API coupled with
   looking at the P95s has been very helpful.
   - Michal: it sounds like in practice this API also helps you go over a
   bunch of fixes much faster.
   - Andrew: Yes, people will have more energy to address perf problems
   with the correct tools.

Landing navigations
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1JEu3FJkYTcl9S3hDREbXLl_wskuLJ2eOUb8RZ888PiQ/edit%23slide%3Did.p&sa=D&source=editors&ust=1634098481329000&usg=AOvVaw0XxUyAozN25j65VxQrrdj1>
 (Yoav)

   - Yoav: I have a cold
   - … Exposing landing navigation to RUM
   - … Reason I looked into this for SPAs and MPAs
   - … Looking at their performance along with Michal
   - … What we noticed was in terms of performance characteristics, we have
   two distinct types of navigation
   - … Landings and “follow-ups”
   - … Landings defined as first navigation in browsing session (HTML
   concept), session history that happens within a tab
   - … Correlates with what we define as landing
   - … Cross-origin navigation or opened in new tab
   - … One characteristic is they cannot be developer intercepted
   - … When looking at MPAs and SPAs, SPAs only have “landing navigations”.
   While MPAs have a mix of landing vs. followup navigation
   - … Different performance characteristics, via internal Chrome metrics,
   e.g. in terms of CWVs
   - … Expose to RUM?
   - … Split on that navigation type as Dimension, can sometimes be traded
   off on landing where it saves some work on followup
   - … Split on dimension can help reduce noise and clarify data
   - … For MPA and SPA comparisons, only landings are apples-to-apples
   comparisons when doing that comparison
   - … Would allow RUM providers to do those types of splits and reports
   - … Developers would be able to monitor migration between architectures,
   during rewrites (e.g. moving from MPA to SPA), make sure you’re not losing
   performance, enables developers to monitor that migration to new
   architecture.
   - … Keeping track of landings between both sides of that architectural
   fence
   - … Theoretically that is already available through session storage
   (polyfillable), but session storage is slow and busted and we don’t want
   anyone to use it (sync API)
   - … At the same time it’s safe to expose this information. Haven’t run
   this by security folks yet.
   - … In terms of API shape:
   -
   - … We add a boolean ‘landing’ which won’t require updates once we start
   reporting other types of navigations.
   - ... PR in progress: https://github.com/w3c/navigation-timing/pull/161
   <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/navigation-timing/pull/161&sa=D&source=editors&ust=1634098481332000&usg=AOvVaw3JN8u8faKNlohErZvpTbod>

   - …This is relatively easy to add because these concepts are already
   defined in HTML.
   - --- discussion ---
   - Cliff: I think this is awesome, but I’m a bit confused about the
   differences between all these navigation types. Why are these first class
   but not other kinds such as bf cache navigations?
   - Yoav: Is that something where changing the API shape would help? Or is
   this a comment on the fact that we have many types of navigations that
   needs to be addressed?
   - Cliff: We need to be able to explain what all the kinds of navigations
   are and how we can view them.
   - Yoav: Another option considered was to add another value to an enum,
   but then it became two values because for history navigations, you’re in a
   landing, then move forward and backwards, I thought it still qualifies to
   be a landing.
   - Cliff: Right, a reload could still be a landing, a bf cache nav could
   still be a landing. So maybe we don’t call them navigations just to make it
   more clear.
   - Yoav: May be worth scheduling a TPAC session for name bikeshedding.
   - Nic: Yoav gave me a preview, and it was timely for us as RUM
   providers. We added a landing-or-not dimension to our data, which we
   implement with a cookie.
   - <Shares the screen>
   - Nic: This is the data from my own site. Segmenting the data by
   navigation type changes the data significantly, for every metric.
   -
   - Of course this depends on the site too, but the metrics do differ
   significantly.
   - … For an individual user, this is one of the dimensions that changes
   user experience over time.
   - … First experience is probably worse than later experiences.
   - … I find this a very intriguing dimension to split data by, and some
   of our customers are using it for their own analysis.
   - … I think it would be valuable for us to have it standardized in our
   own RUM data.
   - … The definition described here seems similar to ours, but better.
   - Timo: Which combination of APIs do you use to approximate this today?
   - Nic: Our sessions are defined as a sliding 30 minute window.
   - … This is just a limitation of what we have today.
   - Timo: if you reenter from a cross-origin, it may appear as a followup
   even though it is a landing.
   - Nic: Yep
   - Timo: Navigation type preload, back-forward are pretty special. Do we
   want to integrate these or leave that up to clients?
   - … Offline cache: we tried to reliably detect this. A couple of hacks
   related to ResourceTiming and transferSize 0.
   - … We have a bug open to make this a random constant.
   - … Caching has a pretty big impact on perf characteristics
   - Yoav: for the first question, the reason I chose to split it out is
   because it intersects with all other types in the enum. So it makes sense
   to break it apart into its own boolean, and then have client side scripts
   combine that information.
   - … for the second question: this is already fixed in the spec. We are
   exposing it as 300 for header vs 0 for nothing. Feel free to open an issue
   to improve ergonomics.

- Nichttp://nicj.net/
@NicJ