Re: WebPerfWG triage call - Wednesday June 26th @ 10am PST

Thanks to all who attended! I published a recording
<https://youtu.be/5CutkMdQVSs> of the call, as well as its minutes
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTO6DJPngxBhJ5c1DUauBRpZGfnAQRZpvLzMgJSNb2BzyP3yxE90PVFwDzgINoc327B_Cb1rHzcYvuv/pub>.
Copying the minutes here for safekeeping:

WebPerfWG triage call - June 26th 2019
Participants

Alex Christiansen, Doug Creager, Benjamin De Kosnik, Nic Jansma, Thomas
Kelly, Will Hawkins, Nicolás Peña, Yoav Weiss, Ilya Grigorik, Steven Bougon

Administrative

Next call on July 10th, 10AM PST — design call, we’ll move the invite.
Agenda

Philippe: working on new dashboard for the group

… we’ll review the new dashboard on next call

… still under construction

Respec failures

Yoav: we have a number of ref errors in our specs

… this is a recurring problem where we have failures in published specs

… any action or things we should consider?

Philippe: the problem is that Marcos is making changes and ground is moving
from under us

Ilya: can we snapshot or add a build step? That will enable us to
revalidate the output before its in production

Philippe: Even if we freeze the respec version, there are still server side
services that can change

Yoav: Yeah, this time around it was Shephard failures. But with Respec it
causes production failures. Freezing the HTML output sounds like a low
overhead way of resolving this problem

Nicolás: so we want to freeze what we serve instead of current flakiness

Ilya: It’s not flakiness, it’s improvements. But changing the flow will
enable us to control it
AI: investigate adding a build step for respec, we have some existing
examples

   - Yoav + Philippe to scope the required work

Performance Timeline

How does "queue a PerformanceEntry" algorithm interact with other specs?
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/performance-timeline/issues/128&sa=D&ust=1561626130735000>

Nicolás: seems like missing example, we can share?

… maybe a question about a flag that was removed? If so, should be
non-issue.

Will: Josh is in Toronto office, can clarify with him

AI (Nicolás, Will): we need to clarify what the question is.

"Relevant performance entry tuple" usage is still broken
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/performance-timeline/issues/130&sa=D&ust=1561626130736000>

Nicolás: this is a simple fix, just haven’t got to it.

… my name is on it, I’ll get to it soon

WPTs
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://wpt.fyi/results/performance-timeline?label%3Dmaster%26label%3Dexperimental&sa=D&ust=1561626130737000>

Yoav: Chrome and Edge are green

… Firefox has a few failures, looks like supportedEntryTypes failures

Nicolás: there’s a few User Timing L3 dependencies that are failing, which
is unfortunate

Will: I will look at the entry type failure

Ilya: re, UT failing, is there a way for us to avoid this?

Nicolás: we don’t have another way to create entries in PerformanceTiming

… we always have a way to have a dependency

Ilya: FF supports UT, why are we failing?

… the harness test checks for L3, which fails

… is there a way to test against IDL version of LN version?

Philippe: no

Ilya: no resolution, these failures are not failures

… what about Safari failures?

… there is no PerformanceObserver support

… but there are some getEntriesByType failures

Alex: we’re aware of the issue, but won’t get to it for another month or so

Ilya: great, wanted to make sure you’re aware of it

Page Visibility

Update respec version as EventHandler currently has a respec error
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/page-visibility/issues/44&sa=D&ust=1561626130739000>

Yoav: still some failures

Philippe: if you see ref errors, please assign those to me

PR: Allow a user agent to return hidden when obscured
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/page-visibility/pull/46&sa=D&ust=1561626130740000>

PR: Correct reference of Page Visibility to top level browsing context
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/page-visibility/pull/45&sa=D&ust=1561626130740000>

PR: Add external hooks to now {visible,hidden} algorithms
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/page-visibility/pull/47&sa=D&ust=1561626130741000>

Yoav: we need reviewers

AI: Yoav, Alex, Will to review

WPTs
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://wpt.fyi/results/page-visibility?label%3Dmaster%26label%3Dexperimental&sa=D&ust=1561626130742000>:
All green other than prerender

Philippe: we already removed prerender in the publiced version

… at the f2f we also removed it from the editor draft

Yoav: ok, so we need to remove the test — correct?

Philippe: yes

AI: Yoav will open issue to remove the WPT test

Ilya: there are WPT failures for Safari

Yoav: they’re timeouts, unclear what the failures are?

Alex: looking into that
requestIdleCallback

PR: Clarify timeRemaining() algorithm.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/requestidlecallback/pull/79&sa=D&ust=1561626130744000>

Yoav: I need to do a second sweep, should be close to landing.

Deadline definition
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://github.com/w3c/requestidlecallback/issues/71&sa=D&ust=1561626130745000>

Yoav: discussed at the f2f with Ryosuke and think we have general agreement

… don’t have proposed wording, but think we have the general concepts

Ilya: what are the next steps?

Yoav: there is a PR 78 in flight, I will update to capture discussion in 71

WPTs
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://wpt.fyi/results/requestidlecallback?label%3Dmaster%26label%3Dexperimental%26q%3Drequestidlecallback&sa=D&ust=1561626130746000>

Green other than Safari, which does not (yet) implement rIC.
NavigationTiming

Yoav: a couple of issues that “just need work”, missing tests

Ilya: we need to rename 99 to capture same origin

Yoav: yes, will do

WPTs
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://wpt.fyi/results/navigation-timing?label%3Dmaster%26label%3Dexperimental&sa=D&ust=1561626130747000>
-
almost green other than unload/redirect changes

Ilya: we recently updated TAO to same-origin

Yoav: we’re green in Chrome

Will: on my radar, this is next on my list

Nicolás: Edge is not green?

Yoav: change probably hasn’t landed yet, we’ll have to check

Alex: don’t have a bug on it

Yoav: there’s a bunch of failures, but I wonder if PerformanceObserver is
the issue that’s causing the failures?

Ilya: could safari add PerformanceObserver? :)

Alex: it’s a possibility