Re: WG design call - April 12th @ 11am PST

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 1:58 AM Ian Withrow <ian.withrow@appdynamics.com>
wrote:

> Long time listener, first time commenter.

Welcome to the tribe! :)

> Agree with Phillip and others based on my experience with AppDynamics'
> customer base. Any capability that requires per app customization is
> largely targeting the 1% of accounts that have committed to web performance
> very deeply.  This group is also heavily skewed towards some verticals like
> e-commerce. Most enterprises haven't prioritized custom instrumentation to
> date.
>
> What is the goal for this groups' enhancement pipeline at the moment? For
> instance if the goal is it to provide the best possible tools for those
> committed to web perf then the above feedback is besides the point.

Per our charter <http://w3c.github.io/charter-webperf/>: "The Web
Performance Working Group's scope of work includes user agent features and
APIs to observe and improve aspects of application performance". We
intentionally do not target a particular type of user or site, as the goal
is to improve performance broadly across the web and for all users on the
web. As such, I would personally consider it a failure if the solutions and
proposals we come up with are only able to benefit, or be used by, a small
subset of sites or motivated perf geeks.

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 3:32 AM Fred Short <fshort3@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agree, I would just add that ET needs to expand beyond images and text to
> be a good alternate option.

Yep, fair. Would love to hear your thoughts on what those are and their
relative priority.. Albeit, probably a conversation we should push to
GitHub so we can keep track and iterate on details.

ig