Re: NavigationTiming event for initial display

From: Shubhie Panicker <panicker@google.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:52:56 -0700
To: Stefan Seifert <nine@detonation.org>
Cc: Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com>, Bryan McQuade <bmcquade@google.com>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, Paul Irish <paulirish@google.com>
Sorry not sure I quite understand your comment here.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Stefan Seifert <nine@detonation.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Donnerstag, 23. Juni 2016 08:41:33 CEST Ben Maurer wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to share some thoughts here based on our measurement
> experience
> > at Facebook. While the FirstPaint and FirstContentfulPaint events are
> > interesting I don't think these reflect the actual loading times of
> > non-trivial applications. Many sites load their content incrementally and
> > these statistics are unlikely to capture just the right subset of
> content.
>
> I guess attaching timing information to DOM nodes like time from start of
> page
> load until this node was first (partially) painted would by itself create
> performance issues? If not, that could leave the choice of the "right"
> subset

The timing info is attaching to the window and not to individual DOM nodes.
As such there is no performance concern for exposing the suggested first
paint metrics.

of the content to the developer.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you suggesting having the developer indicate the
"right" subset of the content for the case of "First Meaningful Paint" ? Or
something else ?