Re: [frame-timing] Processing model proposal

On 3/23/15 1:32 PM, Michael Blain wrote:
> 1. There is a "begin" point to a frame. Could be a timer, a rAF, an
> input handler, etc.

I'd like to understand this part better.  What exactly constitutes a
"begin" point?  If I have three timers fire in a row within 2ms of each
other, is there only one "begin" point, or multiple?

> 2. There is an "end of processing" for a frame. Could be a thread which
> collects all the async jobs when they finish, could be a timer which
> collects all work which made a particular deadline. Could have just been
> single-threaded and reached the end of work.
> 3. There is a hand-off of rendered work to a compositor thread/system.

Say a script makes a change that starts a transform transitioning and
also makes another change that requires relayout of some other part of
the document.  Is the visual display of the transformed content allowed
to change before the relayout completes?  If not, why not?  If it is, at
what points here are there "hand-off of rendered work" instances?

> we think it's more useful
> (right now) to say a more binary "you hit your deadline" or "you missed
> your deadline, and are janking."

Right, I understand the goal.

> Is this model too narrow/limiting, or is it just not worded as clearly
> as it could be?

I can't tell, because I don't understand the model.  ;)

-Boris