RE: setImmediate usage on the web

Although I agree the name is suboptimal, 5% real-world web usage in Microsoft Edge is quite high usage to consider renaming or removing an existing API. 5% real-world usage hints that there is some demand for the functionality the API provides even though it is only implemented in 1 browser.

Can you please elaborate on the ES6/7 feature that has the low priority callback characteristic of setImmediate?

-Todd

From: Hiroshi Kawada [mailto:kawada.hirosi@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:09 AM
To: Todd Reifsteck
Cc: public-web-perf@w3.org
Subject: Re: setImmediate usage on the web

I think setImmediate is too vague. Web developers just make callback executing after I/O(Layout/Rendering) or waiting for that thread gets idle. Some ES6 features that new browsers are already supported and requestAnimationFrame API covers this use case.

So, we need to choose these 3 idea :

1. rename setImmediate to setIdleTask ... separate out two use cases(requestAnimationFrame and setIdleTask).
2. remove this spec. ... ES6/7 will cover this use case.
3. keep on this spec ... waiting for other idea or usage.