Re: Support for page/resource size

On Tue, 2014-07-08 at 18:43 -0400, Anthony van der Hoorn wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm new to the way that this group works, so if there is a better way to
> approach this please let me know.
>
> I see that the v2 specs for NavigationTiming and ResourceTiming are in
> progress and I'm interested in knowing whether there has been any
> consideration to including the size of the page/resource in the API?
>
> I work on profiling/debugging tools, and the timing information is great,
> but it would be amazing if we could start pulling together a profile of the
> weight of the page.
>
> I guess other things come into play when starting to go in this direction
> (like status codes, from cache, etc) but just wanted to know if anyone is
> thinking about this.

We considered it [1] but didn't make enough progress despite agreement.

While trying to write a proposal, I realize that we have two different
byte sizes that could be returned:
1. the byte size of the response
2. the byte size of the response's body

The first one has the advantage that, for those who want to use
heuristic to determine the bandwidth, having the size of the server
response would be more accurate.

Which one can we or do we provide?

Philippe