Re: making page visibility a property of document instead of top level browsing context

From: Jake Archibald <jakearchibald@google.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 07:49:12 +0100
To: Arvind Jain <arvind@google.com>
Cc: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On 11 Oct 2013 00:27, "Arvind Jain" <arvind@google.com> wrote:
> One question I have is whether we define more values for
"visibilityState" to cover different cases like the following:
> 1) Browser window minimized.
> 2) Background tab.
> 3) IFrame outside of viewport.
> 4) One of document's ancestor is set to display:none

There's also "window entirely obscured", "on inactive desktop", "monitor
off".

I'm worried about the complexity here, is there a need for visibility to be
more than a boolean? Will all states that != "visible" continue to mean no
visibility or will code like that bite me later?