Re: navigationStart in NavigationTiming

On 5/1/13 2:20 PM, Jatinder Mann wrote:
> I ran the same scenario in IE10 and got the following numbers, where
> navigationStart != fetchStart and navigationStart < redirectStart.

Note that you also see nonzero unloadEventStart (and navigationStart ==
unloadEventStart), so you're not testing the case under discussion here,
looks like.  It's worth actually testing that case, I'd think.

That said, using the "opened http://en.wikipedia.org link from
http://www.wikipedia.org in a new tab via context menu" test, what I see
in Firefox is:

navigationStart:1367432904453
unloadEventStart:0
unloadEventEnd:0
redirectStart:1367432904453
redirectEnd:1367432904540
fetchStart:1367432904540
domainLookupStart:1367432904542
domainLookupEnd:1367432904542
connectStart:1367432904540
connectEnd:1367432904540
requestStart:1367432904542
responseStart:1367432904574
responseEnd:1367432904606
domLoading:1367432904577
domInteractive:1367432905303
domContentLoadedEventStart:1367432905303
domContentLoadedEventEnd:1367432905304
domComplete:1367432905467
loadEventStart:1367432905467
loadEventEnd:1367432905468

So navigationStart < fetchStart but navigationStart == redirectStart.
That seems at first glance to agree with Chrome's numbers, if I'm
reading those right.

In either case, I agree that the spec's current language makes no sense
in the presence of redirects.