From: Jatinder Mann
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:56 PM
To: Jatinder Mann; Boris Zbarsky; Sreeram Ramachandran; Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org); Arvind Jain; public-web-perf
Subject: RE: [ResourceTiming] Handling of "resourcetimingbufferfull" events makes no sense

Philippe and I discussed this issue today in more detail and it seems like changing the Performance object to implement EventTarget in Navigation Timing L1 isn't a great idea after all. While this change won't have a compatibility impact on existing users, it will be a conformance change and will require the spec to go back to Last Call, which is definitely not desirable. Instead it may be better to redefine the Performance object properly in Navigation Timing L2, and then deprecate the Navigation Timing L1 once the L2 spec has reached Recommendation. Seeing that the L2 spec already redefines all of the L1 timing attributes in the preferred PerformanceEntry object, this seems like a natural progression and the right message to send to developers: don't use the deprecated method over the recommended method.

If there are concerns that defining Performance object in Navigation Timing L2 will tie the progress of Resource Timing to Navigation Timing L2, I would expect that spec should be standardized relatively quickly. The spec has been stable for a while, and aside from the linkNegotiation attributes, IE11 already implements Navigation Timing L2. Though I think we should still consider additional changes to the L2 spec as appropriate, I don't expect getting to two full implementations will take too long.

Thanks,
Jatinder