Re: detecting connection speed

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Aaron Heady (BING AVAILABILITY) <
aheady@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  This is taking a very similar track to the conversation about having the
> UA return more details about the screen resolution. That simply does
> account for the many ways a user can change the meaning of the resolution.
> Do they have the screen zoomed? Is it a giant screen, but being looked at
> from across the room… it goes on with just about as many gotcha’s as the
> connection speed conversation.

Could you point me at that discussion ? Sounds interesting.

I actually think it is qualitatively different from the connection speed
issue. Information about the physical screen resolution and physical screen
size may well be present at the client and information about the typical
viewing distance may also be implicit in the type of device (think TV vs
laptop). Thus there are many cases where reasonable default behavior can be
derived from those known physical properties. There is a problem right now,
for example, because the definition of CSS pixel assumes a particular
viewing distance.

On the other, hand, network performance depends on many many things which
are unknowable by the client device - what's on the other side of the WiFi,
where is the server, what does the cross-traffic look like etc. etc.

> For connection speed, maybe we should think of it more like progressive
> encoding of a streamed movie. You assume the worst connection speed (that
> you are willing to optimize for). It sets up the basic UI and if that was
> the actual speed it would most likely stop there as the larger components
> wouldn’t download or could be timed out and further features not loaded. If
> they have a better connection, then some of the middle tier experience
> loads, but the full experience times out and stops loading. And obviously
> that last stage is everything is fast enough that nothing gets cut off and
> they get the full experience.

That's one option, though people with fast connection often prefer to get
the full experience up-front, without having to wait though the low-end
one.

...Mark