Re: detecting connection speed

When you say "connection speed", what exactly do you mean?  Are you
referring to just the first hop from the client?  Or all the hops the whole
way to the server?

Just looking at the first hop can be misleading as it assumes that's where
the bottleneck is.  This isn't always the case, particularly on personal
wifi hotspots (which use wifi for the first hop, but 3g for the second) or
captive portals (which can use wifi for the first hop, but drop connections
for the second)

Using the entire connection from client to server would provide a more
accurate indicator (though still totally ignores the fact that conditions
change over time). I guess this would be harder to implement as the User
Agent would require a different value for every server it contacts.

On the whole, I think a better approach would be to not implement this API
and encourage web developers to think "Offline First".

--
Luke Blaney
Labs developer, FT Labs [labs.ft.com | 0870 085 2038 | @ftlabs]

--

This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at