Re: [Resource Timing] Why does connectEnd exclude the SSL Handshake?

NavigationTiming and ResourceTiming differ in how connectEnd is defined:

NavigationTiming (http://www.w3c-test.org/webperf/specs/NavigationTiming/):

    connectEnd
    <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#dom-performancetiming-connectend>
    *must include *the time interval to establish the transport
    connection as well as other time interval such as SSL handshake and
    SOCKS authentication.

ResourceTiming (http://www.w3c-test.org/webperf/specs/ResourceTiming/):

    connectEnd
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/resource-timing/#dom-performanceresourcetiming-connectend>
    must include the time interval to establish the transport
    connection. *It must not include other *time interval such as SSL
    handshake and SOCKS authentication.

IMO the NT spec has the better definition, as
secureConnectionEnd==connectEnd in this case (which is why
secureConnectionEnd was omitted from both of the specs).  Also, the
'TCP' phase in the images in both NT and RT specs shows connectEnd
including SSL/SOCKS.

- Nic
http://nicj.net/
@NicJ