Re: [agenda] Web Performance WG Teleconference #81 Agenda 2012-09-12

On 09/13/2012 01:47 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 9/13/12 12:14 PM, Paul Bakaus wrote:

>>> You would have to do a good bit of convincing on this one, I think.  My
>>> first reaction being somewhere between "heck, no" and "no way".  ;)
>>> This is a huge footgun, and one incredibly likely to get misused all
>>> over the place.
>>
>> Very true. This one can only be implemented if all of the above is
>> implemented - meaning, when the user has total awareness of what code or
>> asset uses memory (and when), when he is in theoretical full control,
>> this
>> option makes sense.
>
> I'm not convinced it does, because in my experience people have a
> tendency to think they know what's going on when they actually don't...
>   I mean in terms of the "total awareness" you describe, not in terms of
> competence.

I think we would be extremely reluctant to allow authors to disable the
GC, for much the same reasons that Boris describes. In particular it
seems to have the potential to lead to a disastrous user experience in
some cases, and that isn't really something we are willing to accept.