Re: [NavigationTiming] Privacy and fingerprintability

Yeah, this is the primary concern with the specs. We've discussed it
extensively internally and on the list. Maybe we haven't done a good job
recording the results in specs or wherever else is appropriate.

The basic conclusion of all the security & privacy teams is that
fingerprinting attacks that use timing are already viable without
Navigation Timing and this additional data doesn't open a new attack
vector. The biggest concern was that if a solution was found for the
existing timing attacks, it'd be harder to patch because of Navigation
Timing.

In general, if we felt timing was insecure, we'd just disable the feature
entirely. There's no need to distinguish between incognito and normal
browsing.

Note that I'm not an expert on security and privacy; I'm just summarizing
what others have said in the past. You might want to follow up on the
public-web-security thread from last year about this. [1]

James

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-security/2011Oct/0000.html