Re: [NavigationTiming2] Comments and questions about the Navigation Timing 2 draft

Maybe we should have a broader discussion about this. I mentioned a potential working document before on best practices for Web page analysis. We then might find other metrics that are important. A metric we typically work with is Perceived Render Time which is the time until all above the fold content is rendered (or better available as we don't know whether it is rendered).

// Alois

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com<mailto:igrigorik@google.com>>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:14 PM
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU<mailto:bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>>
Cc: "public-web-perf@w3.org<mailto:public-web-perf@w3.org>" <public-web-perf@w3.org<mailto:public-web-perf@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: [NavigationTiming2] Comments and questions about the Navigation Timing 2 draft

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu<mailto:bzbarsky@mit.edu>> wrote:
On 10/11/12 1:55 PM, Ilya Grigorik wrote:
Right, both (1) and (2) are contextual to each individual page. However,
perhaps somewhat naively, I still equate the "layout flush" to "first
paint"

Ah.  They have pretty much nothing to do with each other, apart from "first paint" probably happening after "layout start".  Probably.

Right, that's my assumption as well. Coming back to your earlier point: "I suspect it's plausible to report the time of the first time you told your graphics hardware to actually go ahead and put stuff on screen."

I think that's a good definition to shoot for. Now, how do we get there? :)

ig
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it. Compuware Austria GmbH (registration number FN 91482h) is a company registered in Austria whose registered office is at 1120 Wien, Wagenseilgasse 14, Austria