Re: Animations (was: [minutes] 2012-10-10 Web Performance WG Teleconference #84)

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 13:24 -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 10/30/12 1:16 PM, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> > The bottom line is that the CSS WG is interested in fixing the problem
> > on their side and it will be easy for them to do so.
>
> Fix in what sense?  Not firing transition/animation events in background
> tabs?
>
> What about SMIL events?  Same deal?
>
> Basically, we should get all the web animation APIs on the same page,
> whatever that page is.

Right now the T/A specs are very underdefined about exactly when and
what events are fired.  We figured out that we needed to just define
exactly what events will fire for every transition in the state
machine of an animation.

Once we do so (which will happen soon), Page Visibility or whatever
can just define exactly how the animation state machine is manipulated
in background tabs (for example, pausing the animations upon entering
the background, then scrubbing forward for the duration of the pause
when it's visible again), and what events are fired will just fall out
of that.

~TJ