RE: [NavigationTiming] Issues in the document.open test (or perhaps in the spec, if the test is correct)

On 6/28/2012 2:09 AM, James Graham wrote:
> HTML defines the concept of navigation. It will be very confusing if we have two specs
> overloading the same term to mean slightly different things.
>
> I would prefer we reuse the HTML concepts as far as possible, but if there are clear use
> cases that require a new concept, we shouldn't reuse the same terminology.

The HTML5 definition of navigate, http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/single-page.html#navigate, excludes document.open/.write/.close. Those concepts are defined as Dynamic Markup Insertion in Section 3.4, http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/dynamic-markup-insertion.html#dynamic-markup-insertion.

Seems like our goal of ensuring document.open/.write/.close does not impact Navigation Timing and our goal of defining what is a navigation in Navigation Timing can be achieved by referencing http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/single-page.html#navigate in the Navigation Timing spec.

Zhiheng, I recommend making the following changes to the spec:

Section 3 Terminology

Section 5.1 Processing Model
For step 1, replace the following text,

With,