Re: [Navigation Timing] cache info

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM, <julien.vandenbossche@orange.com> wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> I work at Orange(telecom operator), and we currently use Navigation Timing
> to enhance our QoS on our website. We didn’t find element on the spec to
> know if the resources were fetched from cache (HTTP Cache not App Cache) or
> not. Do you have any idea?****
>
> ** **
>
> We also think that it could be interesting if we can have information to
> know if the cached resources were fetched from browser cache or network
> cache maybe based on the’ X-Forwarded-For’ or ‘Via’ headers, even if I know
> that they can be removed by sysadmin for security reason. What do you thing
> about that new cache info?

While I agree this would be really useful information to have, we actually
ended up having to work pretty hard to avoid explicitly indicating whether
an object was cached. Doing so would expose some of the user's history
which is a violation of privacy.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> Where can I find info about the browsers implementation roadmap concerning
> all the specs of the webperformance working group? I didn’t find the info.
> ****
>
> **

There is a (work in progress) compliance suite here:
http://w3c-test.org/framework/results/nav-timing-default/

You can drill down into the results to get version info, but the tl;dr for
desktop browsers is that Navigation Timing is supported on FF8+, IE9+ and
Chrome. No word yet on Opera and Safari implementations.

AFAIK, Resource Timing and User Timing are not yet released anywhere.

-Tony

 **