From: public-web-perf-request@w3.org [mailto:public-web-perf-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Bret Gorsline
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:07 PM
To: public-web-perf@w3.org
Subject: Re: Page Visibility Simplifications

An ad perspective: we'd like to be able to avoid tracking until the user sees an ad in full size. Ad systems should be able to avoid tracking when the page is hidden or much smaller than full size. If this is what the 'preview' status is for, then I'd like to see it kept.

The 'pre-render' status seems less clearly useful. Maybe some application in analyzing (and controlling) CDN cost against revenue, but it does seem counter to why a browser might want to pre-render in the first place. From a tracking perspective, I think 'hidden' covers this case well enough.

Bret