Re: [PageVisibility] Feedback

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:41:44 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-web-perf@w3.org
On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 17:13 +0000, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what games is getting sillier every day but we're trying to
> > ship a specification.
>
> Well stop trying to ship a specification.

And how is it going to help users if we do that? They're going to keep
wondering what's stable and what's unstable. A technical standard is an
established set of requirements about a technical system. Unless we
stabilize the specification and ship it, nothing gets established.

> You should be trying to make the Web better. It doesn't make the Web
> better to be referencing obsolete specifications.

I'm trying to make the Web a better for users. Referencing a
specification that keeps changing doesn't help them either. As I said to
Anne: in the ideal world, we would reference DOMCore, but DOMCore is no
closed to be done.

> > HTML5 can afford to link to it since they don't plan to stabilize
> > anytime soon, but that's not our case.
>
> HTML is probably more stable than Page Visibility.

If that's case, then you shouldn't worry about this, since we'll have
plenty of time to change the references, but our goal is to finish the
first version of Page Visibility by January 2012, that's before the
current established timeline of HTML5.

Philippe