Re: [Performance Timeline] Need higher resolution timers

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com> wrote:

>  I agree that without sub-millisecond resolution, you cannot get the
> precise framerate based on the timestamps of two separate frames. You can
> still calculate the framerate by counting the number of frames per second.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I think this will be a good topic for discussion for tomorrow’s conference
> call. If we do decide to allow for microsecond resolution, we should do so
> in the constraints of respecting the Unix epoch, so developers can easily
> compare timestamps with Date.now(), and be inclined to not change Navigation
> Timing unless it is for a very compelling reason.

That's not possible. Date.now() changes when the system clock is adjusted,
the monotonic clock (by definition) does not.  Whenever the system clock is
adjusted the two values become incomparable.  I think it's far better to be
up front about the fact that they timestamps are not comparable by using a
separate timebase so that developers are less surprised when clock
adjustments happen in the wild.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I will add this topic to the agenda.

Let's discuss technical issues on the mailing list, we are more likely to
get broader feedback and reach a technically sound consensus than on a phone
call.

- James