Re: [NavigationTiming] navigationStart in Cross-origin redirects

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Nic Jansma <Nic.Jansma@microsoft.com>wrote:

> The problem with navigationStart is that it is logically equivalent to, if
> not exactly the same as, redirectStart for redirected navigations.
>
> Since we've decided that redirectStart should be protected by SOP, we
> should apply the same SOP to navigationStart (in the case of redirected
> navigations).
>
> Otherwise, if we provided navigationStart in a cross-origin redirected
> navigation, combined with the not-SOP-protected fetchStart, we've
> essentially given a backdoor to redirectStart(=navigationStart) and
> redirectEnd(=fetchStart).

   A determined one can already estimate navigationStart with other
technique right now so we are not leaking additional
info by exposing it. In fact, if we hide navigationStart in the cross-origin
case, it is a good indication that there is a redirect
involve even if we zero out redirectStart/End/Count.

> Note:  Zeroing out navigationStart with cross-origin redirections is not
> captured in the Processing Model step 16.a.  Zhiheng, would you be able to
> update the spec?

   yes, once we come to the conclusion of this question. :-)

thanks,
Zhiheng