From: Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com>
Date: Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: Web Timing API
To: "Back, Tim" <tim.back@sap.com>

Hi, Tim,

    Sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. Other stuff here got
my hands full and I haven't been able to attend
to the draft-related issues for the past week.

    We did look into having some sort of paint-related attribute in
WebTiming. Unfortunately, we found the paint events
from the browser have only rather loose correlation with what a user is
seeing on the UI and we haven't found out yet how
the browser can do this better than JS without adding too much overhead
inside it. One example is that Flash content
tends to introduce continuous paint events, which makes it difficult, if
possible, to decide which event reflects the rendering
of a complete user view.

    A alternative is the a "domInteractive", like the one in
document.readyState = interactiv. There is some ongoing discussion
about having this added to NavigationTiming in the WebPerf WG. I haven't
investigate much into the different between this and
what you are measuring right now but it seems to be one step closer to what
you are looking for.

   * Another interesting thing here is how your use case can be handled even
after the right variable is added. Assuming that you
are replacing document.body.innerHTML, currently NavigationTiming does not
necessarily capture timing for loading the replacement
content.

   I think all these are interesting points and should be brought to wider
audience on public-web-perf@w3.org.

cheers,
Zhiheng