Re: RWW like Implementations of IoT device management (via WoT)

Hi Tim,

I think most IoT/WoT standards use encrypted networks and authentication
is done by sharing a key to that network or a gateway that does the
access control. Encrypted networks can be WiFi or other (proprietary)
protocols. Many gateways transfer the data to the cloud. Usually that's
not very transparent.

Because bandwidth and memory can be very limited. The gateway is the
best place to implement authentication with decentralized identities.

Dark Horse [1] will use that approach. It's a Node.js gateway/host using
Express. A middleware could handle the authentication. There is already
a module [2], but it should be ported to RDFJS spec and Passport [4].

I'm also trying to shift the protocol and data mapping from the gateway
to the device. There is SmallHydra[5] for the ESP8266 and I'm working on
a solution for RFMxx [6], maybe with LoRaWAN [7] support. OpenThread [8]
would be also an option, but I haven't seen an Arduino implementation.

bergi

[1] https://github.com/bergos/dark-horse-server
[2] https://github.com/bergos/pubkey-login
[3] https://github.com/rdfjs/representation-task-force