Re: iBeacon + LDP or ie: SoLiD

Thankyou for your comprehensive response.

On Sun, 22 May 2016 at 20:56 Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> On 22 May 2016, at 10:11, Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Looking into iBeacon technology and found the google offering [1]
> alongside the apple version.
>
> I'd rather have the infrastructure owned by the property owner and use
> linked-data more generically (rather than via service provider).  Any
> suggested links for existing solutions that are less service-provider /
> vendor tied?
>

> I think this requires an exploration of the business models. Vendors are
> already used to providing URIs for product support and marketing info,
> including special offers. The URI is for a web page, and in principle, the
> HTTP request accept header could used to request metadata separately from
> the web page. The question is what to do with this metadata and how it
> would benefit both you, the vendor and the merchant for the store with the
> beacon.
>
> Use case 1: is to build a platform where the beacons form part of the
venues infrastructure, whilst i'm hoping to achieve high-accuracy
point-data for indoor navigation in connection to AR related interface
technologies.

USE CASE 2: that i'm currently i pondering is access tokens as a means to
enhance both credentials and WebID-TLS functionality around something i'm
working on i call 'human centric web'....

Use case 3; relates to owning access control to that tag on your dog that
helps carry it's identifier info, with the array of functionality that can
be applied to it at low-cost.

ideal situation is that the OS provider of the HID does not require a copy
of the data being explicitly provided to them, due to their physical
presence somewhere, doing something, et.al.  I note many benefits of the
current system over existing alternatives; yet, am looking at evolutionary
options...

Receiving unsolicited and personalised ads when walking into a store may
> feel a little creepy, and possibly down right annoying. This would become
> something that is welcomed if you were able to set your preferences, so
> that you only got such ads when they are relevant to your current needs,
> and this didn’t involve a loss of privacy.

Agreed.  I've dealt with that at a different layer (SoLiD / Creds related
aspects) - the broader dichotomy i'm working through is a concept of 'human
centric web' with some ideas about reputational systems applied to
operators who don't need to be globally silo'd due to integration of
linked-data as a networkable knowledge-layer utility.  Yet due to
underlying design principles, the data-systems are being designed to be
applied universally to humans, regardless of their agent status, with means
for persona support.  Yet interoperable with non-organic agents and therein
HTTPA related considerations (expressed in creds as WebDHT capabilities?);
therein  establish an array of other dichotomy's, such as privacy, yet all
these end-up interconnecting with the platform that opens a front-door (as
an example).  BlockChain technologies IMHO digress these sorts of issues to
computational 'quick wins', without defining the broader humanitarian
problems...

so more broadly comes this goal of making people stick to their decisions
and furnishing means for understanding why those decisions were made
without mandatorily sharing the decision tree with a previously nominated
internationally operating commercial entity (or related particular
stakeholders);Therein, it seems less than ideal that a global
service-operator whose terms-of-use discipline a particular domicile as
'choice of law' to rule over-all.

This is where personal agents can be of value, where you are happy to share
> personal information with the agent, that you would be uncomfortable with
> sharing with other parties. The agent can use this personal information to
> assess whether a particular service is something worthy of your attention.
> Such agents could be locally based as apps on your phone, or they could be
> cloud based and capable of harnessing recent advances in AI for much more
> sophisticated capabilities.  This points to a market for personal agents.
> Apple and Google are already moving in this direction, but it would be your
> choice when it comes to which vendor you select and how smart you want your
> personal agent to be.
>
> I'm not sure i fully understand the alternatives here. looking at it from
my perspective - it looks like API's are provided, rather than a
decentralisation of device to service-provider.  Whilst i understand an
array of benefits in Web 2.0 type models of doing this; it doesn't seem
like the only approach and i ponder sincerely - the A.I. consequences both
in simple and sophisticated terms.

It seemed entirely possible that a Beacon (as an IoT/WoT thing example);
could be tied to a users LDP / SoLiD like account; which could in-turn
enable the owner of the 'thing' to have primary control over the utility of
that 'thing' rather than necessarily the service-provider or 'app provider'
who may provide a 'thing' in a weeties box freely - due to the data they
get from it. moreover, i've found many IoT providers to be seeking this
kinda 'subscription revenue' whilst forgetting about Privacy related
issues; resulting in GPS trackers that don't tell you how many people are
connected to that tracker - as a basic example.

In respect to the Web of Things Interest Group, beacons could be used by
> apps as a way to discover a thing and initiate machine to machine
> interaction with it. This is consistent with the role of personal agents,
> whether the agent runs on your phone, home gateway or in the cloud.
>
> Yes.  Therein my point exactly.  i do make a distinction between 'human'
and other agent (whether software, or incorporated, or otherwise) yet we
have means to make these sorts of pointed-graphs and i'm wondering whether
anyone out their in the H/W world has considered it; whether something
exists that people can point me to; or whether everyone's smart door-lock,
is service-provider controlled...

and how they feel about that ;)