Re: [web-nfc] Use cases for emulating passive NDEF tags

On 2018-03-29 14:55, steven branigan wrote:
> Currently I have a native app on android where I use the uid of the rfid tag as a key to master data.
>
> I am focusing mainly on asset management where using qrcodes / barcodes is not suited to the lifespan of the asset or the environment in which the asset is situated, sun exposure, temperatures, etc. all have a negative impact on any printed label / adhesive.  RFID tags tend to last a lot longer in harsher environmental conditions.
>
> In order to complement the android & ios apps (which uses Bluetooth scanner) I have a web app.  Due to the limitations of the browser and native NFC modules of the mobile devices I can't provide access to the master data using the RFID tags UID using a mobile device browser, such as chrome.  As a result the web app exists purely as a management console.
>
> The RFID's I use a ISO15963 and I use only the UID.  I don't write anything to the tag.  I pair the UID with asset related data that is entered manually.
>
> If you want a more detailed step by step let me know.

Hi Steven,

As far as I can tell you can do all this today (at least on Android) but you still need to deploy a native application.
A native application can start the browser with an URL holding the UID for example.
Writing a native application using WebView makes it even more "webbish".

Personally, I believe new standards should [primarily] address use cases which do not have [reasonable] alternative solutions.

A problem here is that the Web Security Model is ill-suited for a bunch of applications, (IMO) including yours.  That is, there are privacy and security issues which are poorly addressed by browsers that always must assume the worst.

Anders