Re: [W3C Webmob] Profiles?

On Wednesday, January 22, 2014, Jo Rabin <jo@linguafranca.org> wrote:

> Coremob didn’t have any profiles, it had a set of use cases derived from
> an assessment of the most popular non Web apps and went on to produce a
> list of  features that were missing from the Web platform to be able to
> implement similar apps using Web technology. It was a “competitive
> analysis”. It would have been quite a sensible profile, but wasn’t, because
> too many of the features required of the Web were not standardised.

Things being standardized doesn't matter as much as things being
interoperable - as you can't have a standard without interop.

However, if you mean that the Web is/was simply missing too much
functionality when compared to native apps (and devs really need whatever
that missing stuff is to make apps/experiences people want to use), that
might make sense.

I think we are primarily gathered here to work out the above, fwiw.

> The requirement to be able to write a Web application that has a certain
> level of functionality, performance and presentational quality in some
> required demographic

Sure...

>  is not currently satisfied at a reasonable cost and to a reasonable
> degree of simplicity by the current standardisation approach.

Can you please expand on this a bit or give an example? I'm not really
getting this bit. What can we do different when standardizing stuff?

> My own view is that having profiles would help this. There’s no reason to
> suppose that they have to be arbitrary.
>
> Yes, everything needs to be maintained.

Sure. But that evidently rarely happens as things that rely on profiles
have a tendency to fail or become rapidly obsoleted (or blindly demand
blanket support for things that no one uses).

We can try to make a profile as a thought experiment if people like and we
can see how it would succeed or fail. We can also drag up some past
experiments at doing profiles.

However, let's not go crazy with this - we have waaaaay more important
things to do than discussing specs about specs.