Re: RfC: LCWD of Vibration API; deadline March 4

Hi,

On 12 Feb 2014, at 15:58, Peter Beverloo <beverloo@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM, Terence Eden wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in two things.
> > 1) Getting the max length of patterns and vibration times from a device. There seems to be no way to do this at present.
> Can you explain a bit more what you would do with that?
>
> The maximum length and duration of a vibration pattern are defined to be implementation specific.  In Chrome we adhere to a maximum length of 99 entries, and a maximum total duration of 10 seconds.  Firefox has a configurable maximum length, defaulting to 128 entries, and a maximum duration of 10 seconds, which is configurable as well.
>
> One completely unimportant use case I can imagine is using a device's vibrator to "play a song".  Remember those awesome buzz-tones from the late 90s? :-).

I guess one could split such a long vibration pattern into smaller patterns, use multiple sequential vibrate() calls, and combine that with a technique similar to the one you outlined below i.e. [100, 1, 100, 1, 100, 1, 100] to address the max duration limit.

I guess someone will soon roll a vibrate.js library that takes an MP3 and spits out a buzz-tone of the song. Talking of songs, try Star Wars at [1] ;-)

> > 2) Future proposals to indicate the *intensity* of vibration.
>
> Intensity control would be nice.
>
> Which platforms would support setting the vibration's intensity?  The Android APIs do not, and vibrations on iOS are initiated through their audio system, which don't support intensity either.  This can easily be worked around by the developer by vibrating [25, 10, 25, 10, 25] instead of [95].

The group identified the intensity as a feature to be considered in v2 [2]. Given there is a workaround, we seem to be already addressing this requirement with the current API.

Thanks,

-Anssi

[1] http://o2labs.github.io/handshake-html5-vibrate-haptic-library/
[2] https://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/FutureWork