Re: Web/Native: gap analysis

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 2:51 PM, Bruce Lawson wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:30:19 +0100, Bruce Lawson <bruce@brucelawson.co.uk (mailto:bruce@brucelawson.co.uk)>
> wrote:
>

> > IMO these are the immediate priorities, so we don't spread ourselves too
> > thin. They also appear to have the most developer and implementer
> > traction behind them, so appear a good start
> >
> > 1) Service Workers are being implemented in Blink and Gecko
> >
> > 2) Bookmarking - aka application shortcuts - are implemented in various
> > browsers and OSs. Now's the time to push for standardisation
> >
> > 3) Permissions are being debated at the moment.
> >
> > Let's start with these.
>
> replying to myself is wierd, but i've been thinking deeper. The three
> things above are already known problems and are already being looked at by
> other groups. So, while it's important that we document these as part of
> the list of Stuff That Makes People Write Apps Not Web, I don't there's
> much that this group can add to others' on-going efforts.

Sorry Bruce, but I have to disagree. I’m not saying we can do better, but last time we turned our backs on this stuff we ended up with AppCache, IDB, and a whole bunch of shitty APIs. Can’t afford to just say “oh, don’t worry! those guys will handle it” again. Fool me once, and all that - we gotta be all over that stuff *early* making sure it’s done right(tm).
> Something that I hear a lot about, but haven't seen documented in-depth,
> is the UX gap (as opposed to the feature gap above). Why do consumers like
> native apps more? (or, indeed, do they?). What is missing from the UX of
> web? For example, if a site has swipe gestures to go from one page to
> another, how do users on non-touch devices navigate? If the developer adds
> next and back buttons, they are superfluous (arguably) on swipe-able sites
> and their superfluity (arguably) detracts from UX as "it doesn't feel
> native".
>
> Should we document the UX gap and see how that could manifest itself as
> CSS/ JS specs?

Yes, this was raised on separate thread also. See:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2013Oct/0061.html

I’ve yet to respond to that thread separately.

--
Marcos Caceres