Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

Hi all,

>This is certainly a very interesting conversation.  However, I wonder
>whether spending lots of effort on identifying gaps and pushing forwards
>initiatives to close them will mean web developers are permanently trying
>to catch up and
> feel second-rate citizens in the mobile world.  I think it there is
>value in considering where the web is already ahead, or where it has the
>potential to be ahead.  Then lets celebrate those AND ensure that we're
>remaining ahead.  Let's make native applications
> feel they need to catch up with the web rather than vice-versa.

I agree with this viewpoint.

> The mobile Web has unique advantages - linkability, cross-platform deployment, etc...

I thought that it was important that we pursue this more. I cosider that actions of the standardization about APIs are actions to let web acquire ability of cross-platform deployment at a level of Native Apps.
On the other hand, how about linkability? I can hardly find the evolution of that for nearly 20 years. Although some exclusive things and very specific and difficult things were proposed, only HyperText and Embedded Content seem to yet succeed widely. And what's more, I feel even a tendency to abandon linkability as unique advantage of the Web to approach Native. The warning to such things seems to appear as "web Apps Suck". And what will "etc.." be?

It will be necessary too for us to be careful not to pollute the cityscape while Rome burns.

Regards,

Satoru