Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

On Friday, October 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Dimitris Michalakos wrote:

> Hi Tobie,
>
> Let's define WiFi and Power Management, in the context of our research.
>
> WiFi means "Get a list of available WiFi connections. Setup a new connection. Connect to specific WiFi network". Results show it's mostly used to:
> view Wi-Fi connections
> connect and disconnect from WiFi
> change network connectivity

This seems very "OS-level". For example, in iOS you have to go to settings to enable this. I think it's the same with Android?

What kinds of apps are people trying to build with this (or have been built with this in other platforms)?

> Power Management means "Prevent device from sleeping or screen from turning off". It is mostly used to prevent device from sleeping while running an app.

This one makes sense.
> The way I interpret these findings is that HTML5 apps need to be able to open a network connection at will (i.e. on launch). At the same time we have to come up with some sane way (not by using hacks) to prevent the screen from turning off while an app runs. Would you agree with this?

I know there is work somewhere happening in the W3C to address this… anyone remember which API this is? (might be a SysApps WG phase 2 deliverable - "Idle API")