Re: Web/Native: gap analysis

Hi Marcos,

Le lundi 14 octobre 2013 à 12:01 +0100, Marcos Caceres a écrit :

> I think it's great that you've gone to such length to identify the
> issues in the platform. However, as it's evident from the breadth of
> the problems you've identified, there is a ton of research to be done…
> there are probably a couple of PhDs worth. This is a problem for the
> IG, as we simply don't have the expertise in the group to try to
> address every gap identified in the document. Other problems are
> simply outside the scope of a standardization body (anything UX
> related). There is a high risk of failure by trying to address every
> single gap - it will simply take too long and it's just too dynamic a
> space.

To be clear, it's never been my goal that we would address all the gaps
at once; and not all the gaps are to be addressed by a standardization
body for sure either.

The goal of taking the wide-picture approach is to make it more likely
that when we pick our priorities, we do so with a clearer view; both in
terms of what would have the most impact, but also ensuring that closing
the said gap won't also affect badly another piece where the Web is
leading.

I certainly agree that at any time, the IG should focus its efforts in
just a few of these items.

> Thus, I would like to propose that we try to fix the following three things:
>
> 1. Offline - there is a real risk that Service Workers will not be
> good enough unless we get it in front of the right people early
> enough.

I strongly agree this should in our top priorities.

> 2. Bookmarking - we need to make sure that the bits are in place so
> users can "install" web sites.

I probably wouldn't call it bookmarking, but I agree that deeper
integration of Web apps in the launcher real estate is critical as well.

> 3. Permissions - without a permissioning model for the Web, we can't
> enable new device capabilities.

Well, there is a permissioning model, but it's hard to scale and is
pretty leaky; I would love if we can indeed help in this field.

Dom