Re: in-page search, was Re: New manifest spec - ready for FPWD?

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013, at 10:17, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
>
> > Yes. In-apge Search is something that might also be useful within an app -
> > especially if you can find out it is happening and respond to it
> > intelligently if the app hides things by default.
>
> The ability to do this is useful, but I wonder if it’s kinda context
> specific. Just some very lose thoughts off the top off my head:
>
> * no (mobile) native application platform let’s you do this, AFAIK (just
> a fact - not a judgment or a good/bad thing).
> * hardly any mobile browser currently supports this (which sucks, IMO).

This is supported by Chrome and Firefox on Android I believe.

> * searching in page is not something that is usually shown by default:
> you have to press ctrl-f on most browsers to bring up in-page search.
> * apps might only want specific runs of text (a group of elements) to be
> searchable… maybe this is a HTML feature <section searchable>?
>
> So I guess the option, if we were to support this, would be something
> like “searchable”. Then the UA can work out the best way to present show
> the search box (e.g., long press -> “Search on this screen”).

As mentioned in the bug, I believe it is quite too early to ask
ourselves how to handle that. I think we should focus on the basic
features that would have a wide adoption and keep that kind of features
for later. This is the kind of problems that might or might not exist
later depending on UA UI and developers feedback.

--
Mounir