Re: New manifest spec - ready for FPWD?

On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 7:43 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:

> > > Yep, this is currently captured here:
> > > https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/76
> > >
> > > Those of us working on this still need to investigate FxOS a bit more
> > > to see what people are using in practice and why (e.g., how much
> > > granularity do we really need? to the button level “forward”/“back", or
> > > can we just say “navigation-bar”, etc.). Captured here:
> > > https://github.com/w3c-webmob/installable-webapps/issues/17
> >

> > Simply wanting *just* the back/forward buttons has been common. I
> > could imagine apps relying on the "reload" button as well.
>

> Yes. Especially for things that come off the web (as opposed to packaged
> apps).
>
> > I have not heard of, but I could imagine, apps wanting to rely in the
> > title of the page being displayed.
>

> Quite possibly
> [use case snipped]

From the research we’ve done, none of the proprietary solutions currently do this. I’ve added this as a feature request [1] so we can see how much interest there is.

BTW, the closest I’ve seen to this was in Chrome Beta for Android. Before installable apps were removed, it showed the URL automatically if the applications changed origin during navigation.
It’s was a nice security feature. You can see picture of it here:

https://developers.google.com/chrome/mobile/images/home_navigate.png

> > The "url bar" is a very common separate UI piece on most platforms.
> > However it's unclear how a URL bar would work in a standalone UI.
> > Would the user be able to type any URL while still remaining in within
> > the standalone UI? Seems surprising if we imagine that the standalone
> > UI uses the icon of the app. Though we could always open any typed URL
> > in the default browser. Anyway, staying away from url-bar seems safer
> > for now.
>

> Yes. In-apge Search is something that might also be useful within an app -
> especially if you can find out it is happening and respond to it
> intelligently if the app hides things by default.

I will spin up a separate thread for this.

[1] https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/89