Re: [webintents] Should DAP revisit WebIntents?

On 2014-06-24 08:58, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24/06/2014 16:24 , frederick.hirsch@nokia.com wrote:
>> Is there any new work or progress in this area, with Chrome, or other
>> implementations?  Robin, are ‘web wishes’ related and relevant [3]?
>> Should DAP be looking at them more closely?
>> [3] http://darobin.github.io/web-wish/
>
> Web Wishes are indeed meant to be a revival of Web Intents (the name
> being picked to be deliberately different from Intents and
> Activities). I've been caught up in the contentEditable stuff, but
> I've been planning to add the normative content now that the uses have
> been outlined.

Web Intents seemed to have run into trouble with dealing with what
happens in another tab that is providing the service (like recursive web
intents request from the providing service).

A different use case that perhaps would be better to split out is
services from native apps, not other Web apps.  An issue with Web Apps
competing with native is it takes a long time to provide web apps with
APIs needed to use new hardware.  So there can be a long lag where only
native apps can use new hardware capabilities (or sometimes JavaScript
is just too slow). Example: video face, gesture or object recognition.

Web Wishes with a return value to native services would be good for some
use cases.  More generally, a message channel provided by the UA to
native apps would allow for the creation of native app provided services
that cooperate with web apps.