From: Giuseppe Pascale [mailto:giuseppep@opera.com]
Sent: den 1 juni 2012 18:40
To: public-web-intents@w3.org; Nilsson, Claes1
Subject: Re: Web Intents for local network services (DAP Action-510)

I've only started now to look at the proposal but let me start by
clarifying one thing

On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:41:35 +0200, Nilsson, Claes1
<Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com> wrote:

> I have also removed the slides on Web Intents discovery of services on
> legacy UPnP devices as I assume this is covered by
> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/511.

To be clear: I'm not going to work on this action because so far is still
not clear to me where we are heading.
Furthermore, if we were to design a solution for "legacy" devices that
will by design work with any device,
so I'm still not sure why we want to keep the 2 separate.

Most of the discovery part needs to be done inside the UA. By defining a
new service (VS mapping well-known intents on well-known services) you are
adding burden to implementers that needs to support both.
By further extending UPnP and mDNS you are adding yet another burden.

> We are also planning to make a proposal for mDNS.

What is the advantage in slightly changing existing protocols? And if you
are extending them anyway (i.e. you cannot reuse existing
devices/libraries as is) why not just picking one protocol?

/g

--
Giuseppe Pascale
TV & Connected Devices